Thursday, August 28, 2014

Being Mom

    


 
















    
     So the other night my husband asks if I'm happy staying at home. I sort of stared at him with a puzzled look, I have never hid the fact that I want to be mom first. However, it also made me feel good that he cared enough to take the time to ask the question before automatically assuming I was happy where I was at. Honestly, I am happier now, than I have been in a long time, with my husbands new job I can relax a bit and actually enjoy being home. Not to say we still aren't under financial stress and have a long road of recovery ahead, but the stress isn't as immediate. It's not a matter of staying afloat as all of our basic needs will be covered by his job. I still thank God every day for this blessing, it has been the best medicine for all of us. 
 
      I have been thinking about my husbands question the past couple days and realized that I can really start embracing who I want to be, a Mom and wife. It made me think of my post the other day and I feel in my heart being mom and wife is my main purpose in life.This doesn't mean I'm going to give up on other avenues such as my interest in a future photography business, but for me a job is always going to come second to family.
 
      I am old school when it comes to family and I desire that traditional family role. Nothing gives me a better feeling than knowing that I am the one influencing my child. Note that I truly admire those moms that can handle a career and family but I'm just not one of them. I was a miserable mess when I was working. It just wasn't my path. I still miss it and recently visited one of my old clients, but nothing for me can replace being a mom wholeheartedly, that's just who I am. I am so happy that God has given me the opportunity to embrace that.

     We as a family are in healing mode. I say that because it has been a few long years of stress and now that stress is slowly being lifted. Its sort of a strange feeling but its very powerful. My husband gets the role of head of household and bread winner which has always been important to him and has brought him down that he hasn't been able to 100% fill that role. Now that he has been given the opportunity and is wholeheartedly taking on that role his happiness and comfort in that role is trickling down. I get to be Mom and Wife, and he gets to be Husband and Provider. Call us old school but that's where we are most comfortable, there's something to be said for Traditional Roles. Family life for us is a lot more comfortable not necessarily in a financial sense, but in the sense that our roles that we desired are falling into place. Its amazing that when you find that place, that a sense of peace settles in. Its like God saying there you go that's who I knitted you to be.

Are you playing the role that is most comfortable to you? Are you happy where you are at in life? Is the role you have in life a place of peace or stress?

No comments: