Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Differences: What is Normal?

      
              
 
 
     Last nights yoga was on differences. Specifically what God says about our differences. This one was a harder concept for me and I had a hard time letting this one sink in deep, it got stuck at the surface. Honestly I'm not sure why and I will work on it through the next week. During my time on the mat, these questions popped up, am I struggling with differences, am I being different or have I been different in a not so Godly way, or do I struggle with accepting differences? When contemplating this I think that I have always struggled with differences mostly in myself.
 
    Why is it that we feel that differences somehow makes us not so "normal" ? Is it the need to feel accepted? I like to keep in mind the comfort that no matter whether society accepts us God is always ready to accept us exactly as we are, for he created us. I always wonder how society comes to defining what's "normal" anyway? But however "normal" comes to exist in society I sometimes feel like I don't fit in anywhere, that I'm an out of the box thinker and I often times go against the grain. Maybe you feel like this maybe you are one of those that naturally fit in wherever you go?  Whichever it is, do you always keep God in mind when embracing the differences in life. Are you kind, gentle, humble, full of grace when approaching differences? God is. Do you keep God in mind when you yourself are feeling different? Do you keep God in mind when you approach someone who is different or has a different idea? Do you approach them with a sense of judgment or do you approach them with a Godly heart? Why do differences scare us at times? As long as those differences aren't separating us from God shouldn't we be wholeheartedly accepting those differences and embracing those people that may seem different? For God created each and everyone of us differently, and has a journey and a plan for each of us! This is a verse that came up that has always been a favorite of mine and I was happy to be reminded of it again...
 
       Psalm 139:13-14
13For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
 
     For myself I am on a journey to find God's purpose for me, that's what started the whole idea of this blog. I started really accepting God more into my life and as I do I am discovering more and more about myself and my purpose. Maybe this is why I couldn't let this particular message truly into my inner self. I am still learning to accept my differences and be happy and strong with who I am. I am still searching the questions presented and digging deep into myself to discover the answers. I know there is a lot of my past I haven't necessarily fully embraced yet.  However in my journey I can take comfort in the fact that God has knitted me together in his own way. I have discovered that in my struggles there can be gifts. Because of my fibromyalgia I know I see and experience life differently then many others. I treasure those good days knowing that even health is a gift from God. Certain people have come into my life because of fibromyalgia that I probably would not have met otherwise. It has also led me to a more holistic lifestyle and I know that while for me its to control pain,  I can share the overall benefits with my daughter. She can grow up already knowing what has taken me years to discover. 
 
    I'm also discovering this new part of psychology discovering a small population of sensitive people. This has made me more aware of who I am. I am a sensitive person. It also is making me aware that its a gift, a positive, something to embrace. Society seems to disregard sensitivity, creating it to be a negative. Sometimes I realize instead of embracing the gift that sensitivity can be, I have often times shoved it deep inside to try to fit more into what society sees as "normal". I realize this is silly and now I am on my journey to embrace myself as a whole person exactly how God has knitted me together. I'm coming to find while it has its difficult moments, being yourself, being different, is much easier much more comfortable, much more true than trying to fit into a small box labeled "normal". I am also finding its easier to find the truth in God when I'm 100% true to myself. This is one reason I have truly discovered yoga for me to be God pleasing. It is a way for me to discover myself, who I am, who God knitted me to be, to build confidence not only in myself, but with God!  
 
     Are you embracing your differences? Do you embrace others differences? Are you living a life in truth?





No comments: